Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Browser Archeology


Ever wondered what it's like to be an art director at an advertising agency? This afternoon I pulled up my browser history for last Wednesday, and it's fascinating (for me, anyway) to re-live my day vicariously through the websites I visited:

After hearing that Rocky 6 was in production, I was settling a bet on whether an Academy Award had ever been secured by Tom Cruise. Naturally, this discussion turned to Katie. My faith in the future of an America which fails to bestow due recognition on one of the greatest actors of our era had me researching french language immersion schools for my son.

Then I popped in for a look at Adweek to see what's going on in the industry. Must've been something about Modernista. I was streaming in a feed of WXPN which must have spurred a query about the lyrics to the song Wild Horses.

Keith and I are currently working with a 3-D modeler to create monsters for an upcoming breakfast sandwich promotion, which explains why I was looking for pictures of dinosaurs and cyclops-es.

As I paged through page after page of dinosaur images, Keith and I started talking about books which make great gifts, which made me think of a really cool publisher in Philadelphia.

All of this proves that my dependency on the web has become a seamless piece of every conversation I have while seated at a computer - I can find anything (and am frequently unable to restrain myself from finding everything) on the web.

It also proves that I have the attention span of a gnat (see post 1).

2 comments:

Buck Super Stereo said...

i thought of you and ceo's brass instrument in rock sogs debate on the way home the other day.

i'm not about to do the research myself, but is that an oboe in the beatles' "good night?"

not exactly a rock song and more of a lullaby, but still by the forefathers of rock.

James-H said...

Check this website out. Instrumentation and even what those crazy Beatles songs MEAN.

White Album 13. Good Night (3:11) - This slow lullaby lacks drums but does include violins and a flute. Here Ringo got his chance to sing lead on a song from the album's second component.

Magical Mystery Tour 3. Flying (Lennon/McCartney/Harrison/Starr) (2:13; instrumental) - The tempo is moderate. For the first 12 seconds, I hear nothing in the right speaker. Then a guitar enters, then an oboe. At the 1-minute mark, the guys start chanting. The flute solo at the end is what I think symbolizes a bird flapping its wings.