Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Whale Pants redux


A couple weeks ago, I posted a prediction about a surge in preppy clothes following the release of the Smirnoff Raw Tea video/ad. Since then, according to my referral activity, an awful lot of folks have been directed to Yonder ponder in search of "Whale Pants". As a valuable service, I thought I'd offer some whale pants links for these folks.

Evidently, Murrays' Toggery has the market sewn up on the pink pants (actually a seriously faded red) with whales, lobsters, frogs, pigs and, my favorite, bluefish. And even carries the madras pants made famous in Wedding crashers (pictured).

I won't argue either for or against this kind of wear. If you have the $125 to spend on a pair of pink pants, we don't travel in the same circles, and my opinion matters very little to you. I think the madras pants, in particular, are pretty dapper. But the $110 bucks might better be spent on something of consequence, like piano lessons for my three-year-old. And I'm not sure I have the additional cash to maintain the entire prep lifestyle. At last check, a Ralph Lauren Polo shirt retails at $75 or so. And I'm pretty much an Old Navy / 5.99 polo shirt kinda guy. And I live in Dallas, where they can spot the reproductions faster than Christie's can spot cheap jewelry.

Anyway, there you have it, fans of the whale. Everything you need to prep accordingly.

No comments: