Monday, September 11, 2006

Remember

I started to write what turned out to be a pretty pithy observation about September 11 and the impact it's had on my life over the past five years. And then it really kind fo struck me today, as I huddled over my computer, half-expecting to read that someone had blown something else up.

My office is situated about 3/4 of a mile from the Addison airport. And two or three jets a day pass close enough to my building to really sound like they're cutting it close. And EVERY fucking time I stop what I'm doing and wait for an impact to send me hurtling down the hallway to the nearest fire exit.

Five years ago I worked on the 33rd floor of an office building in downtown Dallas. I did the fire drill once (a week after Sept. 11). It was a giant whipping, but I cannot begin to imagine what it would be like to do that walk with hordes of people who were honestly fearing for their lives.

In the words of Mary Gauthier, "Every living thing could use a little mercy now."

God help us all.

2 comments:

David Wen said...

Not to sound crude but the reason I think TX is safer is because:

The good thing about D/FW is that it's not considered a prominent city to attack.

The bad thing about D/FW is the abundance of aerospace and defense companies here.

Mack said...

That's why we live here, David: no one cares.