Monday, April 09, 2007

Art for money

I'm an art director.
I get paid to think artisticly.
I think about creating art. For money. All the time.

I spent a few hours on Good Friday painting in my garage. With different sized paintbrushes and different color paints and stuff. Thinking, somehow, what if I could do this for money? Would I still like it? Would it still come this easy? Would it be any good? Would I keep coming up with things to try? And things to say? Are you capable of creating art if you live in the suburbs and drive a new car and worry about the neighborhood association busting you for a weedy yard and a rotten fence?

I spent an hour drawing race cars and dogs with my son on Saturday morning. My wife looked over my shoulder and said "that would make a great t-shirt. I would totally buy that shirt." I'm thinking "How much could a silkscreen set up possibly cost?"

My son and I were spending a little quality time with the Playdoh (I'm one hell of a playdoh sculptor, I have to say) and I'm thinking - is there demand for this kind of thing out there? Because I can SERIOUSLY Playdoh with the best of them. I make the stuff on the box look downright boring. I am a firm believer in mixing up your colors. My son appreciates this. Others find it scandalous. I mean, once it's mixed, how do you put it away? The red stuff can not be mixed with the white stuff, or when you stick it back in the white container, the next person (still my son and I in this case) is disappointed by the no-longer-white playdoh.

I am not ready to walk away from strategy and web design and integrated campaigns and press checks and health insurance. But scarier still is the idea that I'd be able to come up with idea after idea after idea (although I've been doing that for 10 years) to keep the rotten fence mended and the car paid for and the college tuition savings rolling in.

6 comments:

Jetpacks said...

Show us some Playdoh® sculptures!

And buy a silkscreen setup!

J_Fox said...

Give up the Joy of Advertising™ to sniff Playdoh® all day? I'm in. Oh wait. I'm already doing that.

James-H said...

The silkscreen set-up necessitates a work space, a bunch of chemicals and patience. I lack all of these things.

Playdoh® I can do.

Moda di Magno said...

There are some fabulous vendors out there that will screen for you - with artisnal quality at low, low starving artist pricing. I'm a fan of AndyG (in Boston) - don't be fooled by the hideous website> http://andyg.com/design/

Make the logo bigger said...

Lol. Now that's a tagline for anybody:

“don't be fooled by the hideous website, we’re actually pretty good.”

Lori Witzel said...

Ah, I miss the smell of fresh ink on catalog press sheets at 2am in some small Minnesota town.

:-)

I do direct marketing work now, and it makes no mind what kind of work I'm doing -- if fine art isn't getting a work-out, the same Qs bubble up.

I look at Wallace Stevens for inspiration (at least when I'm wearing my poetry hat.) In fact, I wrote a pretty decent poem this weekend that started on a lunch break in an office park with some chlorotic shrubs nearby.

Painting and drawing both take a different kind of time than poems -- time I find harder to carve out. (One reason I like the camera.)

Share PlayDoh pix!!!