Saturday, August 04, 2007

Big Ol' Howdy


Bill Green is a big motherfucker.

I know this because I met him and his merry band of Plaid pranksters at Bar of Soap in a section of Dallas I rarely visit for a quick, cheap beer and a chat about how a Plaid Van can connect with marketing folks from Connecticut to Nashville to Dallas and points in between. It's a fascinating example of putting your money (and your agency's marketing) where your mouth is.

With a simple vehicle wrap, a van-cam, a huge flickr set, an hourly twitter update, IMs ablazing and no shortage of appointments and cold calls, Plaid Nation embraced a bunch of very simple new media and demonstrated just how compelling it can be. Did they get in every door? No. Did they pay for their trip in new business? Yup. Was it fun? Yup. It has the hallmarks of any great marketing endeavor. Including the one where they want to try it again to see what they can do better next time.

And they got to sample some half decent chow (NJ is a tough to town to get a decent barbecue sandwich - or so I've heard.)

Always cool to meet a fellow blogger. And cooler to see them out shifting the paradigm in a silly van full of electronics.

Photo credit: Plaid

4 comments:

Jetpacks said...

And I'll bet your standing on tip-toe in this shot.

James-H said...

Close. He's sympathetically hunched over.

Make the logo bigger said...

Lol. Usually people just go with m’fer.

;-p

As for hunching in general, that’s from riding in the middle seat trying not to hit the roof with my head.

Absolutely a blast meeting you Mr. YP. I have now erased the image of you wearing that hat and specs from my memory bank–almost.

Still, even if you showed up wearing that rig, you’d sure as shit woulda fit right in with the Bar of Soap regs.

AskACopywriter said...

Sounds like a great night. And an awesome endeavor. Makes me sorry I left town.