Thursday, July 14, 2011

Leaving


It's so hard to say goodbye.
It's so much easier to just quietly slip out. Like after you realize you've had one too many at your friends' wedding and you just walk straight to the door and up to your room and crash. no warning. No friendly goodbye. Just a stiff-legged lurch to the elevator before trying to open your hotel door with your driver's license.

It's hard for me to say goodbye -- on my last day of a job. On my last day visiting my parents. When I drop my son off at school. When I leave my wife on a business trip.

But I'm saying goodbye. To Facebook.
And it's both harder and easier than I thought it would be.

Deleting Farmville? I didn't give it a second thought.
Deleting "Your year in Facebook statuses"? Easy.

Hiding (you can't truly delete) 150 pictures of France?
Harder. You have to do it one at a time.

Turning all my privacy settings to zero?
Kind of hard.

Listening to my Mom lament that she won't be able to find me.
A little hard.

Giving up statuses from 30 restaurants, 20 liquor brands, 15 causes, 5 airlines, Groupon and living social, and "Dallas Mavericks re the World Champions"?
Easy. I follow them all on twitter anyway - and they all pretty much repeat themselves if it's worth saying.

No longer following the daily statuses of 410 relatives, coworkers, former coworkers, vendors, clients, high school and college friends. As easy and as hard as it sounds.

No longer sharing things with those people? REALLY EASY, actually.

Remembering the actual passwords for 30 apps that have an option to sign in with facebook instead?
Severely fucking difficult.

Finding other things to do?
Easy.

Will google+ replace facebook for me?
Lord, I hope not.

While it's my job to be up on all this stuff,
I'd like to think I can do my job better with fewer distractions and more actual personal contact.
But we'll see.
Maybe I was right?
Or maybe I'm a fool.

But I'm getting the F outta here.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Don't know why my reader never shows Yonder Ponder, but it is always worth a stop. Just came by here wondering about James H. Nice post. That takes guts.